Glickman Urological Institute
Cleveland Clinic Foundation“[U]rologist Jones (Cleveland Clinic Fdn. Urological Inst.) thoroughly and clearly demystifies prostate anatomy and function as well as abnormalities ranging from common annoyances to the most devastating cancerous conditions. In addition, he details the full array of treatments for prostate disorders. The book's goal is well met - to help men make (with their physician) informed prostate health and medical decisions based on their individual risk factors and current medical knowledge. A glossary, notes, and a resource section nicely round out the text.”
-Library Journal…a thorough-going guide to a medical condition that any man approaching forty or older can encounter. The prostrate gland is frequently a source of health problems ranging from mild nuisances to life-threatening malignancies. This softcover book provides a complete review and explanation of what the various medical conditions involving this gland represent and the options available to address them.”
- Bookviews.com"Dr. J. Stephen Jones has provided a compendium of information regarding prostate health and disease that is both easy to read and understandable. If you are a man, or if you are a woman whose partner has a prostate question or problem, reach for this book. You will find the answer."
Michael L. Blute, M.D."Dr. Jones is a world-class urologist in a world-class department in a world-class institution. More importantly, he proves to be a vigorous patient advocate.... If you want to truly educate yourself about the prostate and its diseases and obtain real guidance on decision making from beginning to end, this is the book for you."
Chair, Mayo Clinic Department of Urology
Richard J. Macchia, MD, FACS
Chairperson and SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor
Department of Urology, SUNY Downstate Medical School
For men approaching forty and older, the prostate gland is frequently a source of health problems, ranging from mild nuisances to life-threatening malignancies. Thus, it’s important that every man understand what the prostate is, what to do to avoid future problems, and how to treat existing ones.
Dr. J. Stephen Jones — a leading urologist at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation and a nationally recognized authority on prostate problems and treatment — has written this comprehensive, thorough, informative, and completely accessible volume to give men all they need to know about this potentially troublesome organ. The book, divided into three sections, covers the basic anatomy and function of the prostate, benign conditions that most men eventually experience, and prostate cancer.
Using accessible and informative language, Dr. Jones explains:
- what to expect from a trip to the urologist’s office and different examination techniques
- the impact of sexual activity on prostate and overall health
- benign conditions
- alternative or complementary remedies
- the typical symptoms of prostatitis and treatment of an enlarged prostate
- PSA screening and the controversy surrounding its effectiveness
- prostate ultrasound and biopsy
- managing the complications of and coping with prostate cancer
- treatment options including laser surgery, cryosurgery, and brachytherapy (radioactive seed implants)
- and additional crucial and potentially life-saving information.
Containing the most recent developments in detection and treatment of prostate conditions, this superb, user-friendly reference guide should be owned by every man.
Book Binding: Paperback
Shipping Weight: 1lbs
J. Stephen Jones, M.D., F.A.C.S. (Cleveland, OH), is a board-certified urologist at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation Urological Institute - named one of the top two urology programs in the country. He is the medical editor of Urology News and has published numerous scientific publications in Urology, The Journal of Urology, Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Disease, and other medical journals.